In 1224 Count Gerhard of Are handed over the parish law of Kirmutscheid to the Order of Saint John in Adenau. In 1403, a pastor was mentioned, and around 1400 a new building was built using older parts.
The church was rebuilt in 1762 in Antweiler. Most recently it was completely renovated and restored in the early seventies for the 1000th anniversary in 1975.